Monday, September 5, 2011

Rust in the Tank

So I set out to find out what was going on inside the gas tank in case there was something dangerous in there.  Did some research on the internet and there were lots of opinions.  Flush it with Kleen, Por-15, Pressure Wash it, Pour in some Acid, Put rocks inside and shake it around.  Hmm.  The rock idea sounded cool.  So did the acid.  So that's what I did.

Went to Lowe's (Home Depot is cooler) and picked up some Muriatic acid (Hydrochloric).  Needed about a gallon as the internet recommends mixing a 1:1 water/acid solution before flushing.

Started by flushing it a bunch of times with good ol H2O.
Flushing the top hole
Flipped it over and flushed again...

Flushin the bottom hole
This kind of rusty soot came out first...

Sooty seat
Then added rocks. 

Rust busters

I originally thought that inventory management would be important here as I didn't want to leave any rocks behind so i took copious notes on the qty and shape of every rock I added (10 in total of similar shape and size). 
Rock Inventory.  Fascinating!
In the end however, I proved to be overthinking the problem as any rocks left behind make a distinctive clanging noise on the inside of the tank when its shaken.  Wasted brain.

So once the rocks were added, I shook the f*** out of it.  This s*** came out:

Clump of nastiness ready to destroy my engine!
This happened several times and then stopped.

Next I mixed up a 1:1 batch of H20/Muriatic Acid.  I poured it into the tank via this handy tubing rig I came up with all by myself (not really, I got it off the internet).  Apparently this stuff eats through paint pretty quickly so I took precautions as this paint job is what sells the bike.

Muriatic Acid rules.  I feel like making Meth.
I waited about an hour and then emptied it out.  It definitely took on a different hue on the way out.

I hope that plant survives.
Then I flushed it a bunch more times with water.  The Muriatic Acid did an awesome job of cleaning out the rust.  You can look down inside the gas tank from the top and once the acid bath was complete, all I could see was shiny metal.  I am impressed!

Check that one off the list.  I was dreading this job, but it turned out alright.  Now I'm gonna go watch Walter White work his magic with chemicals in Albequerque.

No comments:

Post a Comment