Saturday, September 3, 2011

Seat and Tail

Today I got back on the project and decided to mount the seat and chop the tail.

The seat is set up to mount to a post, but I want it to sit low.  It has this giant spring in it for a cushioned ride, but it kills the look if you have it sit up off the frame.  So I busted the hardware out of the seat and mounted it directly to the frame with a 3/8-16 threaded rod and a couple nuts.

Seat Hardware
Stock Seat
Luckily there's a bracket welded to the front of the seat that has a cross hole all the way through to mount the spring and hardware.  It lined up pretty well with the hole in the frame that's used to compress down on the seat tube by tightening a bolt.

Puch seat mounted to frame
Turned out pretty decent.  The seat is a little bigger than I want, but its growing on me.

I also decided to chop that gay tail off the back end today.  I used that fancy laser level thing I bought for notching the wheel earlier.  it gave me a straight line that I could line up with the front of the fender.  Used a black sharpie to trace over the line.

Laser tracing with sharpie.

Then I pulled out the angle grinder I bought from Harbour Freight a few weeks ago and went to town on it.

Tail gone.
Turned out pretty good.  I might give it a slight upward angle, but I kind of like the straight back lines for now.


And with that, the work on the tail is complete.  Next is mounting the handlebars, cleaning out the gas tank and mounting the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment