Saturday, January 5, 2013

Bad Ass Boat

So I started a new project in December (2011).  After fly fishing with my brother on the Wautuga river in Western NC, I got hooked on the idea of building a driftboat.  I found some cool plans online and it looked easy enough, so I bought a set and started gathering materials.  After browsing around, I liked the Glen-L website the best and found a lot of other people had posted pics/stories of their builds, so I chose a Glen-L Drifter 14 similar to the one below built by a fella named Mark from Montana.


Drifter 14 from Montana

Drifter 14 from Alaska

Once I purchased the plans, I found that I had to locate some fairly hard to find marine plywood.  I found a place that sells Okume to build Yachts and went and got a bunch of sheets.  Pricey stuff at $80/sht.

Apparently marine grade plywood has minimal voids between the ply, making it good for bending.

First thing is to build an internal 2x4 frame.




No comments:

Post a Comment